Anti Snoring Treatment
Anti Snoring Treatment
Many people in Australia, including children, experience snoring and sleep apnoea. Although the common belief about snoring is that it is more a disorder addressed by a ENT (Ears, Nose, Throat specialist), there are now options to alleviate the problem through your local dentist, at Dental 266.
What is Snoring?
Snoring is a disturbing, sometimes inconvenient condition that occurs during sleep when your soft palate at the back of the throat relaxes a lot, causing the tissues to resonate sound. Constant snoring, aside from being disruptive to the people around you, may also be a big threat to your health in terms of a disease called Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (OSA).
What is Obstructive Sleep Apnoea?
Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (OSA) is a serious sleeping disorder wherein a person’s normal breathing is interrupted several times during sleep. This condition is characterized by the patient’s airflow being blocked partially or fully by the tissues around the windpipe at the back of the throat for about 10 seconds or more.
This disruption of normal air flow during sleep may continue for several times during the night at regular intervals. Patients who suffer from OSA are deprived of the rejuvenating rest that only comes from gaining deep sleep which is about 20% of an average of 8-9 hours per day.
Not having enough relaxing deep sleep because of OSA may lead to more serious health issues, such as high blood pressure, stroke, heart attack or immediate death.
How to Know if You’ve Got Sleep Apnoea
Click on the below box for signs that you may have OSA
Signs of OSA
Aside from the regular occurrences of severe snoring during sleep, other signs that you have OSA are –
- Chocking and gasping for air leading to waking up from sleep
- Severe fatigue at daytime – due to not having enough sleep at night
- Heartburn at night time
- Morning headaches and waking up with them
- Anxiety and depression
- Lack of focus and forgetfulness
- Dry mouth in the morning – because some OSA sufferers are mouth breathers
- Decreased libido
- Bedwetting (for children)
Some serious health problems connected with OSA are:
- Stroke – Medical studies show that those with serious OSA are four times more susceptible to have a stroke.
- Diabetes – Struggling for air when you sleep triggers your stress hormones that can lead to higher blood glucose levels.
- Cardiovascular problems – Decreased oxygen in the blood when you struggle for air while sleeping can lead to heart failure or complications in heart rhythms.
- Cancer – Medical studies indicate that patients with moderate to severe OSA are three times likely to die from cancer.
- Cognitive impairment – Mainly due to the lack of air. More likely to happen with young children wherein their brains are still developing.
- Death – Patients with moderate to severe OSA are four more times likely to die.
Want to Know How to Stop Snoring?
If you are confirmed to have OSA, our dentists at Dental 266, can provide you oral appliance therapy (OAT) which will be specially tailored and fitted for you to address your immediate symptoms such as or snoring chocking. It can also improve your condition in the long term.
OAT is a non-invasive, non-surgical treatment that is recommended to OSA patients and especially those who are not compatible with CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) Therapy (an anti-snoring treatment using a breathing machine or apparatus hooked up to the patient while sleeping).
- The most commonly used dental appliance is called Mandibular Advancement Splint/Device (MAS/MAD). Using MAD, our dentist will be able to align your lower jaw and mandible so that your tongue doesn’t fall back and block your airway.
Our dentist will adjust your anti-snoring appliances occasionally, making sure that the lower and upper splints are aligned correctly and giving you a better quality of life free of pain and inconvenience.
So if you have a problem with snoring or sleep apnea, or just want to have great sleep at night without having to snore, do visit us at Dental 266! We’d love to take you through the process of having an anti-snoring treatment so that you can have the quality life you deserve!