If you’ve been searching for a particular teeth whitening strips review you’ve probably by now realised the huge diversity of teeth whitening products. With the global market for teeth whitening products expected to reach US$7.40 billion by 2024, it’s clearly apparent that teeth whitening is big business. This in part is fuelled by celebrities flaunting Hollywood smiles, social media, and a growing awareness of the importance of oral hygiene.
If you’re longing for whiter teeth then you’re certainly not alone. Just as some people buy new clothes or colour their hair to improve their appearance, others feel the need for a brighter, whiter smile.
Teeth can become discoloured by drinking beverages such as coffee, tea, cola and red wine, but also, tobacco products, certain medications, and even genetic factors can be problematic. The term ‘teeth whitening’ refers to products and procedures which are said to lighten the teeth by several shades, although some are more effective than others.
One particular teeth whitening treatment that you’ve probably seen advertised is teeth whitening
strips. They’re readily available in stores and can be purchased online and although some people find them to be very effective, you may be wondering if they’re the best over the counter teeth whitener for you. We’ve put together a few pros and cons to help you decide.
Teeth whitening strips review – What you need to know
- Affordability – One of the things that stand teeth whitening strips out from other whitening treatments is their affordability. They’re less costly than professional teeth whitening treatment and the fact that they’re so readily available is another reason that people pick them up over other whitening treatments.
- Easy to use – until you give whitening strips a try you have no way of knowing if they’re one of the best ways to whiten your teeth but they’re certainly the easiest. All you have to do is press the plastic whitening strip in place over your teeth and leave it there for the required amount of time, which is usually around 30 minutes. That’s it – simple.
With take-home teeth whitening trays that you can buy over the counter you have to be careful not to overfill the trays so that the teeth bleach comes into contact with your gums and burns them. Another problem is that the ‘one size for all’ trays may not fit your mouth, are likely to feel uncomfortable, and could make your gums feel sore.
Teeth Whitening Strips Review – The downside…
- Teeth may not lighten very much – Because whitening strips don’t contain such high levels of bleach as professional teeth whitening treatments, they’re best suited to those with only light discolouration or staining. Usually you need to wear them every day for a couple of weeks for the bleaching agent to break down the stains and work its magic; but even then, your teeth might not end up as white as you had hoped.
- Results don’t last as long – However white your teeth appear after using whitening strips, the results will normally only last for a few months, particularly if you revert back to old habits of drinking coffee or smoking. As a result, you’ll find yourself heading to the shops to purchase more teeth whitening strips, on a regular basis.
- Uneven results – Unless you’ve got perfectly even teeth, and few people have, there’s every chance that the strips won’t sit evenly across your teeth meaning that parts of your teeth may not come into contact with the whitening agent. As a result, you could end up with unattractive blotches of white.
Whatever the teeth whitening treatment, it’s always best to seek the advice of your dentist first. Not everyone is suited to teeth whitening and, that being the case, your dentist will be able to suggest more suitable alternatives such as dental veneers or crowns.
Were you aware, for example, that teeth whitening treatments using hydrogen peroxide won’t bleach fillings and crowns? It may be necessary therefore to have these restored following a teeth whitening procedure?
At Dental 266 we can help you whiten and brighten your smile with the aid of SDI Pola White. With a choice of in-chair treatment or take home kits and 5 different products to choose from, you can benefit from longer lasting, carefully monitored professional teeth whitening that fits in with your lifestyle and budget.
Want to find out more? Call Dental 266 today on (02) 9051 0600 to book your appointment.